Corsicana High School Student Media News Site

CHS Student Connection

CHS Student Connection

CHS Student Connection

The Solar Eclipse

The solar eclipse that occurred on April 8th 2024, leaving an impact on the inhabitants of Corsicana Texas

On April 8th of 2024, the inhabitants of Corsicana, Texas, were the center of attention because the town was in the direct path of the solar eclipse. People from inside and outside the States traveled to our small town to view a moment of beauty and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The news of the event created a name and opportunity for the town as people began to gather and prepare for this shared event. Small businesses and other areas of Corsicana gained many visitors, as those who came to view the solar eclipse also wanted to experience everything the small town had to offer. Because of the size of our city and the large number of expected visitors, schools were shut down for the day to keep students safe from any possible danger of people from outside of town. 

Schools also provided students with solar eclipse glasses and a guide to protecting their eyes, what not to do and what to do during an eclipse, and emergency numbers if anyone were to damage their eyes.

Not to mention, the weekend before the solar eclipse, students, family, and friends all gathered in the Tiger Stadium to celebrate this event. Downtown Corsicana hosted its event on Saturday, welcoming visitors to join the townspeople to celebrate the spectacular moment with live music, food, and games. During the eclipse, people gathered in different areas of Corsicana, and rooftops and parks were the main viewing spots. Homeowners of Corsicana even rented plots of their land to visitors to come and view the solar eclipse. As the eclipse was happening, a moment of silence fell over Corsicana. People from inside their homes gathered outside, workers stopped and admired, and everyone stopped to view the magnificent one-in-a-lifetime moment.

Although the eclipse lasted four minutes and ten seconds, it significantly impacted those living in Corsicana and those who traveled miles to view this moment. Although it only lasted a few minutes in sight, it lasted forever in our minds and hearts.